4.15.2011

I Said Yes...


Today's date is sentimental to me because it is the day my husband asked me to marry him :) {5 years ago}. Like most girls you always imagine what your engagement will be like and I have to say my engagement surpassed anything I could have imagined and I have it all on video and in pictures! I will give you the 'long story short' version as best as I can {or you can jump to the video if you want to}. He made the day extremely special, and a family affair, and a day we will never forget.

It was April of 2006 and I was in my last semester at Auburn finishing up my design thesis, which is one of the most time consuming projects ever! My sister called to invite me to her house for the weekend {she lived in Panama City then}. I went back and forth on whether to go or not because all I wanted to do was finish thesis. I asked TJ if I should go or not, to which he responded, 'only you know that'. At that point I am sure he was nervous that I may cancel the trip, which would change his plan, but I thought a weekend away would be good.

When we got there Friday evening my sister told us we would go flying the next morning. My brother-in-law has his pilot's license and we had flown with him before and she thought it would be fun. My family takes pictures of pretty much everything, so I did not think anything of it when my sister brought her video camera {I also did not know I as getting engaged so I didn't dress up, ha!} We take off and it is about a 20 minute ride to the beach. We are flying along the beach front and come to area where we always go to lounge and relax, as we are flying over I see "Megan Will You Marry Me?". I immediately freeze {as you will see the video} and am in complete shock and happiness! I turn around to see the video camera in my face and TJ holding the ring.

After saying yes and flying around a bit we land back at the airport. My brother-in-law has go through his check list, so at that point I am playing 20,000 questions with TJ in the parking lot...How did you do this? How are the letters on the beach? What are they? Who put them out? We were standing in the parking lot when my parents and his parents drive up! I of course lose it again!

TJ planned the whole event perfectly. When he thought up the idea to propose while flying, he knew my sister and brother-in-law would love being a part of it. My sister and her husband made the letters with the material you put in a garden to block weeds and cut them in 4 foot strips and had each letter in a bag. My parents and TJ's parents drove down Friday night and stayed in a hotel and they were ones who placed the letters out on the beach. In the picture above you see a small group of people sitting to the top left of Megan, that is them. After we flew over the beach they drove to meet us at the airport. We spent the rest of the weekend celebrating and relaxing! The video below was put together for us by TJ's uncle. It includes pictures and video from all our cameras. What to jump to the moment, go to 1:34 :)
Enjoy! 

37 comments:

Julie Moon said...

That made me tear up....so sweet!!

Kathy said...

Wow...that brought a *happy* tear to my eye! That's the sweetest thing ever! And how awesome to share that event with your families.

Britt said...

How sweet! Thank you for sharing this:)

rosa @ flutterflutter said...

Oh my goodness!! That is the sweetest video!

Kristina said...

This video is so sweet it made me cry. Congratulations on your 5th anniversary!

Ella Pretty Blog said...

Uh oh...engagement videos always make me teary - and yours is especially sweet since so much family was involved in it - the look of shock on your face was so cute! Thanks for sharing!

ejlynn said...

Blessings on your marriage!!

Faith's Place said...

Well, WAR EAGLE!! I knew I liked your blog for some reason (I'm an Auburn grad too!!) Love the video!!!!!! Such a sweet memory to have on camera!!!!

Paige
www.thepricesdaybyday.blogspot.com

Tamara, Bella Boho said...

Amazing ♥

The Remnant Room said...

What an amazing story!! So beautiful! Have a great weekend and Happy Anniversary!
Paual

Kat said...

Megan, that was the most precious video I have ever seen! I totally bawled watching it. I love that your parents put the letters out and that your sister was in the plane with you, still crying thinking about the whole thing. Absolutely beautiful!

Kellen Jacob said...

I so needed a good cry. So sweet!

paula said...

Although kellen is in need of a good cry I am sure, it was me! Ha

Sandra Silva said...

BEAUTIFUL! BE HAPPY :)

tynn said...

thank you for sharing this...you made me smile..(and cry too!)

Cindy @ a curious gardener said...

I love your story....thank you for sharing, what a lovely way to start my day!

stylishserendipity.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I hope you know how lucky you are! Kat

Kendra said...

What a great memento! That made me tear up, love a great engagement :)

kerry said...

oh my goodness, i cried all the way through it. you are obviously much loved. so beautiful!!! thank you for sharing.

jvw home said...

Absolutely precious story and video...
thanks for sharing this...
my 2 sisters also have places in Destin! We've been going there for about 20 yrs...I'm thinking I'll give this story to my sons, so that maybe one day they can propose like this too..so cute!!

Natalie Hua said...

I jumped to the video of course and I was crying, the whole time hehheehe like blowing my nose loudly crying. It's beautiful! Happy engagement anniversary to you and your husband, Megan!

Unknown said...

Very nice! I love your story, your video... That dream...

for the love of a house said...

how precious!! I was tearing up even before playing the video!! What a wonderful, sweet proposal! What a sweet, thoughtful hubby you have!!
happy proposal anniversary to you both!

joan

Kasia Gal said...

It looks like you you made a good choice :-) Happy Anniversary from Poland

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Awwwww. SO sweet! What a guy (and family!) Congrats on 5 years!!

lizziefitz said...

That was beautiful!!! I have tears in my eyes:)) I even love the back ground music in the video.Thanks for sharing!

Mommy Harris said...

Of course I remember that day like it was yesterday! It meant so much to be a part of that special moment in your life. I've seen that a hundred times and still cry! I can't wait to share more special memories as mommies. I love you. -sissy

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh- tears! Especially since my husband and I were engaged the week before you guys! Such a beautiful video! So much love and happiness. :)

Lila said...

That is a darling proposal story. It's great that you took a picture too! I'm glad you said "Yes" for a fab happy ending! How could you not with that proposal?
xoxo
Lila Ferraro

Jenny M said...

Congratulations on your 5th wedding anniversary. Your guy certainly arranged a very romantic way to ask the big question. A great moment to have on video.

Pavement and Prada said...

I boo hoo'd!! I just LOVE your website! What a great way to propose too!!

monarte said...

Meggie, Ten seconds into the video the tears began to stream down my face. This is one of those moments in my life that no words can describe how happy I was to be apart of such a wonderful event in my daughters life. We are so Blessed! ... I love you Sunflower. TJ too :))

Dianne said...

This is the first time I have ever commented here. I am dying...what a romantic you married! Lucky girl. :)

Anonymous said...

That was the first time I have ever saw that movie. Beautiful~~~I shed a few tears. I am so happy for you both~~
I love you Both,
Grammie, Pop Too

Jennifer said...

love it! I remember the first time I saw you after he proposed -- you were ecstactic!!! so sweet.

(how DO you spell that??)

Pink Wallpaper said...

OMG that was so freaking sweet!! you totally made me cry!!!

Love Being A Nonny said...

So precious!